I love Michael Pollan’s book “Food Rules”. I have written about him on this blog before, and this book is just as great and only takes about 1 hour to read. Whilst he has over 60 rules to follow, these ones really got me:
- Eat food.
- Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognise as food.
- Avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry.
- Avoid food products that contain high-fructose corn syrup.
- Avoid foods that have some form of sugar (or sweetener) listed among the top three ingredients.
- Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third-grader cannot pronounce.
- Avoid food products that make health claims.
- Avoid food products with the wordoid “lite” or the terms “low-fat” or “nonfat” in their names.
- Avoid foods that are pretending to be something they are not.
- Avoid foods that you see advertised on television.
Something to live by for sure.